Growth Mindset at The University of Oklahoma

 
     From what I have learned growth mindset is the idea of two mindsets fixed and growth. Fixed mindset is the idea that someone believes they can only be so smart or so fast and so on. While growth mindset is the idea that someone believes that they may not know something yet or can not do something yet, but they can get there over time and over a period of learning and training. In Dweck's talk she had a big emphasis on YET, you may not be there yet but you will be there, you may not have passed the class YET but you will pass over time.
     I have never personally heard Carol Dweck's talk on growth mindset, but I have heard the idea of growth mindset in many things that I do. I use to have a very fixed mindset in many aspects of my life. Thinking I would never get down to this weight or I would never qualify for a national championship, over the past two years of training I have lost 65 pounds and qualified for the college national championship in the spring. Just using the mindset of I cannot do this YET  but I can get there has helped me tremendously on my outlook on life.
     With my time at the The University of Oklahoma I have learned my learning style has been more visual and running many example problems. In return I use this to expand in growth mindset. I know my learning styles so in return I can expand my knowledge and major at the University of Oklahoma.
(Picture above is one depicting Growth mindset. Photo is from "Warrior Mind Coach")

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction To Lead Engineer

Week 5 Story: Just a Game